Patriotic Sugar Cookies
Who’s excited for the weekend? This gal definitely is! Unlike most Americans who luckily get to enjoy a three day weekend starting tomorrow, I will be serving the coffee to frantic party-hosting people who have a million tasks to complete before their barbecues and fireworks displays. It’s okay though because many of our customers are kind and friendly. I’m positive that we will be EXTRA busy because we work in the same plaza as a package store. Everyone will be running out to grab their alcohol for the big weekend and need their coffee to stay focused.
Busy days at work equal cookie therapy. Isn’t that the truth?
I actually have made a few batches of these sugar cookies in the past few days. During my break from work today, I went home and put a batch in the oven for my co-workers. They were astonished at home much I was able to do in such a short amount of time. I think I get my multitasking skills from working in a school where there are so many expectations and so little time.
So, what will I be doing on the 4th? Spending time with my good friend and former college roommate, Dee. We went through a lot together including terrible professors, heartbreaks, our own Youtube channel and constantly quoting and watching The Office. Dee has a hilarious and energetic spirit. She’s constantly making people laugh and smile with her wit and humor. She and her boyfriend live on a little lake, so we’ll be visiting them for a picnic on our holiday.
I know that most people are thankful for the day off of work on July 4th, but it really is also a time to reflect on our history and how we are lucky enough to be in this country today. This weekend, I hope that you are able to share time with your family and friends, take a few minutes to say thank you to a veteran that you know or a member of the armed forces, and eat a whole bunch of delicious picnic foods. These cookies are a great way to celebrate the 4th! Sprinkles galore.
- 1-1/2 stick butter (softened)
- 1-1/4 cup granulated sugar (plus 1/2 cup extra for rolling cookies)
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup patriotic sprinkles
- In a large-sized bowl, cream butter with sugar until smooth. Slowly add in eggs and vanilla. Cream for another minute or until mixture is fluffy in texture.
- In another bowl, measure out flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt. Mix with spoon.
- Slowly pour dry mixture into wet and use a hand mixer on medium speed to bring dough together. Add in sprinkles and stir again for ten seconds or until sprinkles are evenly dispersed. Dough will be slightly wet. Cover dough with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll dough into one inch balls and roll in sugar before placing on parchment lined cookie sheet. Repeat for all cookie dough balls. Place in oven for seven minutes or until light-golden brown in color. Remove from oven. Let slightly cool before enjoying.