Lemon S’mores Bars
Yesterday, I attended a local music festival near my hometown. It rained all morning and we feared that we’d be stuck in a wet, windy disaster, but by 2 o’clock p.m. the sun was shining and the breeze was perfect. I’ve never been to a big music festival like SXSW or Bonnaroo, but I totally would go just to watch all of the odd and beautiful people who attend. Do you enjoy people watching? I could do it for hours.
The reason for attending this particular music festival was that my favorite musician was playing on the main stage. I’ve talked about Ryan Montbleau Band a few times on the blog, but my love for his music goes back to 2011. A college friend introduced me to some of his music, but it wasn’t until I saw him play live that I fell head-over-heels for his eclectic style. Sometimes his music sounds like reggae, other times bluegrass. I have been to over fifteen RMB concerts and each time is a totally different experience.
One of Ryan’s songs is called “75 and Sunny”, and I thought these lemon s’mores bars would go perfectly with a summer night and upbeat music about living life to the fullest.
I do love chocolate especially in s’mores, but sometimes I need something with a little zing! I had a lot of lemons leftover from the hummus that I made a few days ago and wanted to use them to make something sweet. I racked my brain with all of the types of desserts I could make, but finally settled on lemon s’mores bars. These babies have a Golden Oreo and graham cracker crust and are topped with toasted marshmallows.
- 18 Golden Oreos
- 5 graham cracker sheets
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 - 15 ounce containers of low-fat sweetened condensed milk
- 8 ounces light cream cheese
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- graham cracker crumbs / confectioner's sugar (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a food processor, blend Golden Oreos and graham crackers until crumbs form. Add melted butter and pulse until crust is moist.
- Spray nonstick spray into a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Pour crust into bottom of dish and press down firmly. Put in oven and bake for seven minutes or until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine condensed milk, cream cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. With a hand mixer, mix ingredients until smooth and creamy. Pour over crust and bake for six minutes.
- Remove bars after six minutes and top with marshmallows. Place back into oven for two minutes and set oven to broil in order for the marshmallows to get toasty brown. Watch carefully. Remove from oven and let cool. Place bars in refrigerator for at least two hours before cutting and serving. Top with graham cracker crumbs and confectioner's sugar.