Greek Salad Pita
Let me first start by wishing everyone a Happy New Year! What did you do for the holiday? Anything fun or crazy? My New Year’s Eve was extremely laid back. Joshua and I cooked up some pizzas made with Portland Pie Dough and binge watched some episodes of Psych. Because we are all caught up on our favorite television programs (The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, American Horror Story), we have resorted to throwing it back to 2006. 2006 had some pretty hilarious comedies out on cable: The Office, Monk, and Psych. But, I digress. Our holiday was quiet, and we fell asleep by 10:30 PM. We didn’t even attempt to keep our eyes open for the ball to drop. Oh well.
So, what’s in store for the New Year? Well, we’re going to start off with some healthy recipes to jumpstart the year. I’m not big on making New Year’s Resolutions, but I do like to start the New Year with some healthy foods stocked in my refrigerator. I think I drank and ate a little too much within the past few weeks. Now, I’m craving all of the salads and smoothies.
One of my favorite things to order when I’m out and about is a Greek salad. Not only are they really flavorful and satisfying to my palate, but they leave me feeling full and happy. A full Erin is an Erin you want to hang out with and take to the thrift store with you. This twist on a Greek salad is the perfect solution to your lunch worries. It’s easy to make and to share with your friends. To add a little crunch to this salad, you could even toast the pita before you serve your meal.
- 2 plum tomatoes (seeded and diced)
- 1 cup cucumber (diced)
- 1/4 cup red onion (chopped)
- 7-8 kalamata olives (chopped)
- 2 pepperoncini peppers (chopped)
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons of Greek dressing
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- 3 cooked falafel or grilled chicken strips
- pita bread sliced in half
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, olives, peppers, and feta. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss vegetables with large spoon.
- Toast pita in toaster or toaster oven. Spread hummus over pita. Add falafel or chicken if desired. Scoop 3/4 cup salad (or more) onto pita. Enjoy.
Are you enjoying 2016? What new or exciting goals have you set for yourself?