Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Granola
I’ve probably said this before, but breakfast is my favorite meal of the day. Snack time is a close second, but I can’t resist a slice of french toast or a Greek Omelette. Ever! At the age of six, my favorite food was the pancake. I did not need any mix-ins like chocolate chips or blueberries to satisfy my craving for a good old hot cake. My sister and I swear to this day that the best pancakes came from a little igloo restaurant in a magical place called Santa Land in New Hampshire. In Connecticut, we have this one diner that makes over 50 different varieties of pancakes and they’re completely irresistible. I digress. I went from talking about breakfast to the ever specific pancake. Excuse my divergence.
Anywho, I’ve been working like a dog at Starbucks. On Wednesdays, we get our weekly order shipped to the store. This means that a big truck dumps tons of boxes off at our store in the middle of the night and we have to put all of the boxes away at 5 AM. It’s kind of like a bad Christmas nightmare that happens every week. After lifting and unpacking boxes of lemonade, white mocha, and refresher juice, I was indeed ready for breakfast. Unfortunately, we don’t sell pancakes at Starbucks, and we definitely don’t have a spare skillet or pancake batter lying around. Womp, womp.
I usually bring my own breakfast to the store because I like fresh fruit and yogurt in the morning. I also love homemade granola. Although Starbucks does carry a yogurt parfait, I think that they should hire me to make the flavors.
Today, I present to you the perfect breakfast solution! This granola is the perfect companion for your morning coffee. Because it’s packed with decadent chocolate and creamy peanut butter, a little bit goes a long day. I encourage you to sprinkle it over some yogurt or milk, but it’s wonderful on it’s own as well. How do you get through the morning? Are you an early bird or a night owl?
- 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup chocolate peanut butter
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups banana chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate pearls (or chips)
- 1/2 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium-sized pot on medium-high heat, combine chocolate peanut butter, vegetable oil, light brown sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir continuously for two to three minutes when peanut butter becomes thin and begins to turn into a liquid. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place old-fashioned oats in a large-sized mixing bowl. Pour peanut butter mixture over oats and mix until all oats are coated evenly.
- Pour wet granola mixture onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Place in oven for fifteen minutes, flipping with spatula every five minutes to ensure granola does not burn.
- Remove granola mixture from oven and let cool. Once granola is cool, transfer to air tight container and mix in banana chips, chocolate pearls, and peanut butter chips. Enjoy with milk, yogurt, or as a snack.