Is everyone looking forward to the holidays? I sure am. Between the music, desserts, time with family, and school vacation, I couldn’t be more excited.
Let’s catch up on life over a Mint Chocolate Marshmallow Bar. Okay? Okay.
It wouldn’t have been Thanksgiving without our annual pilgrimage to Maine. My sister and I got to spend an entire day together in Portland. Emily said that it was the most she had laughed in a while. Thanksgiving arrived the next day. Compared to last year’s 20+ guest list at our house, we just settled in with just my immediate family this year. It couldn’t have been more relaxing and rejuvenating. I ate my weight in nutter butter acorns and caramel apple pumpkin pie.
Did you know that Maine is one of the three states left in the country to have Blue Laws on holidays? Basically, this means that department stores cannot open their doors until 12 AM on Black Friday. My sister, her boyfriend, and I braved the crowds for our forth annual Black Friday. I was able to grab some hot ticket items (but I can’t tell you what these presents are because it would ruin the surprise for my family who reads my blog!).
In other news, as many of you know, I was a Starbucks barista for almost six years. The milk foam and coffee bean oils will forever linger in the depths of my soul. I hung up my apron for bigger and better things last month. It’s a bitter-sweet feeling to be done; however, the free time to sleep in on a weekend or take a spin class is worth it. Even though I no longer am working at Starbucks, the memories and friendships remain.
So, let’s get back to these marshmallow bars. Their subtle mint flavor lingers and embraces it’s chocolate counterpart. I’ve always loved Rice Krispie Treats. Something about them shouts happiness. This time of the year, I love peppermint chocolate and probably devour too many peppermint patties. These treats are perfect to bring to a holiday party or share with Santa Clause.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon mint extract (not peppermint)
- 5 cups miniature marshmallows
- 4-1/2 cups chocolate rice cereal
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon milk
- peppermint candies (crushed)
- chocolate chips
- In a large sauce pan on medium-high heat, melt butter and mint extract. Add in marshmallows and stir until marshmallows melt.
- Remove marshmallow mixture from heat and add chocolate rice cereal. Mix until cereal is coated.
- Spray a 8 x 8 pan with non-stick spray. Scoop chocolate rice cereal mixture into pan and press down.
- While waiting for bars to cool, make chocolate buttercream frosting. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat butter until light and fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar, cocoa, vanilla, and milk. Whip until mixture is soft and fluffy.
- Spread chocolate buttercream frosting on top of bars. This will be a thin layer of frosting. If you prefer more frosting, double the recipe. Sprinkle with peppermint candies or chocolate candies.